M 1/9--Thank You for Arguing pre-course reading assignment due
W 1/11--Bring a composition notebook
Th 1/12--Ch 1 Everyday Use quiz
T 1/17—Bring your purchased copy of 5 Steps to a 5: AP Language 2017
W 1/18—Ch 1 Everything’s an Argument
Due to snow days, the calendar has changed. Please mark changes in your agenda.
Monday & Tuesday, January 9-10
Wednesday, January 11
LG: Demonstrate readiness on an AP Language baseline test. CBAPELC LO1--analyze and interpret samples of good writing, identifying and explaining an author’s use of rhetorical strategies and techniques
- Gather signed syllabi.
- Turn in Thank You for Arguing pre-course assignment written portions.
- Introduction of the Vocabulary Notebook. Read the article Top 3 Reasons to Improve Your Vocabulary and read the directions and expectations for the notebook. Cut out the article, directions, and expectations and paste all into your composition notebook. Decorate the outside of your notebook. Give it a title and place your name in a prominent place.
- Peruse the AP articles, Everyday Use, or Thank You for Arguing. Find at least two words to add to your Vocabulary Notebook. Use dictionaries to complete an entry for each word.
- Sign up for Membean and calibrate.
- Read/review Everyday Use ch. 1. You will have a quiz tomorrow.
Thursday, January 12
LG: CBAPELC LO1: Analyze and interpret samples of good writing, identifying and explaining an author’s use of rhetorical strategies and techniques.
- Gather signed syllabi.
- Assign homework due Wednesday: Everything’s an Argument ch 1.
- Everyday Use proof of reading activity (quiz)
- Review the “6 Keys to Understanding Rhetoric.”
- Think: Read Robert Louis Stevenson’s letter to his father. Using the 6 Keys, analyze the strategies Stevenson uses to persuade his father to send him money. Pair: compare your analysis to your tablemates’. Share: Each group will explain one of the six keys.
- In a brief paragraph, apply the 6 Keys to Carson’s Silent Spring (2004B1).
Friday, January 13
- AP Lang Pretest--60 minutes
- Pretest debrief. Review the AP scoring scale.
Monday, January 16
MLK Jr. Holiday
Tuesday, January 17
- Multiple Choice Review:
- Read pp. 41-49 in 5 Steps to a 5: AP Language 2017.
- Score your multiple choice pre-test from Wednesday.
- Each table will be assigned a passage from the pre-test. Develop an answer explanation for the questions pertaining to the assigned passage.
- Share answer explanations with the class.
Wednesday, January 18
- Introduce Thematic Reading Assignment: Family Relationships due on Thursday, January 26.
- Think: Using the information in Everything’s an Argument, identify the elements of argument in the worksheet. Pair: Compare answers with a neighbor. Share: Each table will define a specific element of argument to review the occasions for argument according to Everything’s an Argument.
- Modes of Development Overview: Each table will be assigned one Mode of Development (see chart for modes and Patterns page numbers).
- At your table, determine the most important information about your assigned mode.
- Table groups will share information with the class. Students will take notes on the basics for each mode on a notes chart.