Th 5/18: Peer edit apologia speech
F & M 5/19 &22: Speech Deliveries
Thursday, May 11
- Begin reading Effective Qualities of Speeches, Spice Up Any Speech, Rhetorical Devices for Speeches, How to Write a Good Speech, Classical Rhetoric 101: the Five Canons of Rhetoric. In each article, there are tips for creating your own speech.
- Write specific notes about each of the articles.
Friday, May 12
- Read the Definition of Apologia
- View the Elements of a Apologia ppt
- View “Socrates” Groups read and annotate assigned paragraphs of Socrates’ Apology
- Share readings with whole group.
Monday, May 15
- Apologia Speech Project Assignment Introduction.
- View CBS Sunday Morning Jim Gaffigan on “The High Cost of the Tooth Fairy”http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/jim-gaffigan-on-the-high-costs-of-the-tooth-fairy/
- View Charles Osgood’s on-air apologetic address to viewers on “Tooth Fairy Gate” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InaAEPfioOo
- View CBS Sunday Morning Jim Gaffigan’s apologia for ruining the Tooth Fairy http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jim-gaffigans-mea-culpa-over-fairygate/
- View Chappaquiddick video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsIZigCh25E
- Read Ted Kennedy’s apologia for the death of a friend at Chappaquiddick.
- Identify elements of apologia and rhetoric within the speech. Choose two sentences to imitate in your own speech.
Tuesday, May 16
- Introduce Nixon's "Checkers" speech.
- Read background article “The Dog Carries the Day for Richard Nixon.”
- Watch a portion the Checkers Speech and write down impressions of Nixon's rhetorical strategies: What makes this speech a successful apologia? Does Nixon convince you in this speech?
- What elements of Apologia does Nixon employ? Identify: detailed account of situation, acknowledgment of damage, recognition of role, defense of actions. Choose two sentences to imitate in your own speech
- Discuss the range of contrition in apologia speeches. How do we repair our creditability when we have faced public scorn?
Wednesday, May 17
- Meet in lab 113
- Brainstorm several ideas for making your own apologia speech. Share with table, then with whole group.
- Students will create the rhetorical situation for their speech
- Students will outline their speeches and write the first draft in class. Include: detailed account of situation, acknowledgment of damage, recognition of role, defense of actions.
Thursday, May 18
- Peer edit typed draft of speeches Speech Peer Editing.docx
- Practice delivering the speech.
Friday, May 19 and Monday, May 22
Tuesday, May 23 and Wednesday, May 24
Finals 1st and 2nd periods; Finals 3rd and 4th periods