W 5/3—Your Modest Proposal assignment due
W 4/26—Satire MC
Monday, April 24
- Today you will have a sub.
- I will do the vocab notebook check tomorrow.
- Read the informational text on Twain first. They are on the front table.
- Next, I have left a piece by Twain at the front of the room. It is called the “On the Decay of Lying.” Follow the instructions on the handout and read and highlight the passage. Form smalls groups of 3-4 and evaluate the piece for SOAPSTONE elements.
Tuesday, April 25
- The Onion group activity: Satire Groups based on theme will read their Onion articles out loud and will identify the kind of satire, the effectiveness of the satire, and the point of the satire. Complete the group evaluation for each article. What is the main argument that the writer is trying to make? What “folly” is the author exposing? Identify SOAPSTone and the type of satire in each article. Choose one from the group to share.
- Review Twain multiple choice
- Read Jonathan Swift bio and book review.
- Read Historical Context for A Modest Proposal
- Listen to and read along with Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal pp. 745-52. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMJ8CNb6Kuk
- Complete the jigsaw analysis for A Modest Proposal.
- Introduce YOUR Modest proposal assignment
Wednesday, April 26
- AP Multiple choice on Satirical selections by Franklin, Swift, Mitford
- Write YOUR Modest Proposal pitch.
Thursday, April 27
- Pitch Sessions: Groups of 3 will come together for pitch sessions. Each person will evaluate the other two proposals. Make sure you answer all the questions on the Pitch Session handout.
- Revisions: Revisit your pitch and make changes based on the feedback from your peers.
- Modest Proposal Outline: Create a draft of your proposal outline. Consider how you will use humor to make your argument. Add at least 3 uses of rhetorical devices to your proposal. Final due Wednesday, May 3.
Friday, April 28
- Satire timed writing
- Peer normed scoring