T 12/1: Your Modest Proposal pitch session
Th 12/3: YMP peer edit
F 12/4: YMP final draft due
Monday, November 30
- Review Satire MC
- Consider satirical process essays. Revisit A Modest Proposal p. 745, How to Escape from a Bad Date p. 291, Get it Right: Privatize Executions p. 299, The Embalming of Mr. Jones p. 304, Rules by which a Great Empire may be Reduced to a Small One by Franklin.
- Delineate the steps of the process in each essay.
- What else do these texts have in common?
- How does the author make a process essay work as a satire?
- Your Modest Proposal Assignment--write your pitch
Tuesday, December 1
1.Get your satire hats on! Read Advice to Youth by Mark Twain. Discuss the questions with your table mates.
2. Pitch Sessions: Groups of 3 will come together for pitch sessions. Each person will evaluate the other two proposals. Make sure you answer all the questions on the Pitch Session handout.
3.Revisions: Revisit your pitch and make changes based on the feedback from your peers.
4.Modest Proposal Outline: Create a draft of your proposal outline. Consider how you will use humor to make your argument. Add at least 3 uses of rhetorical devices to your proposal.
Wednesday, December 2
1.LAB: Students based on your pitch, outline, and draft from class.
Thursday, December 3
1.Your Modest Proposal peer edit.
2. Begin reading “Classical Rhetoric 101: the Five Canons of Rhetoric” For each canon, there are tips for creating your own speech. Write specific notes about each of the canons.
Friday, December 4
1.Your Modest Proposal turn in
a.Read all proposals at your table.
b.Rate the proposals based on process and satire
c.The two best proposals at each table will share with the class