Planning Your Week
Th 10/5–Bring props/materials for Othello 2.3 performances.
F 10/6–Group meetings for EPCOT projects/research novels. Leaders should provide agendas; reading coaches should provide reading questions.
Opener: Review Othello 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 (film adaptation and/or scene summaries).
- Analyze Iago’s rhetoric 1.3: complete questions on handout and identify literary and rhetorical strategies (metaphor, motif, ethos, logos, pathos); pay attention to Iago’s soliloquy at the end of the scene.
- Discuss character objectives, superobjectives, and beat changes. Review Iago’s and Roderigo’s changing motivations.
- View the scene, comparing & contrasting script to film.
*Homework: Read EPCOT/research novels and prepare for group meetings Friday.
Learning Goal(s): Analyze multiple interpretations of a story, drama, or poem (e.g., recorded or live production of a play or recorded novel or poetry), evaluating how each version interprets the source text.
Opener: Finish reading 2.1 and 2.2 (Herald’s scene); review setting change from Venice to Cyprus.
- Perform subtext scenarios (Fred); discuss importance of adding cues for subtext (blocking, movement on stage, physical gestures,voice inflection, emphasis, props).
- Read 2.3.1-40; use stage directions promptbook to model adding cues for subtext.
- Assign 2.3 Drinking Scene to three groups; annotate scripts to add cues for subtext; plan props, costumes, stage scenery/backdrops for classroom productions.
Learning Goal(s): Analyze character development, using textual evidence to support analysis, including uncertainties.
Opener: Continue working on 2.3 analysis.
- Rehearse drinking scene to prepare for tomorrow’s production.
*Homework: Bring props/materials for tomorrow’s production of Othello 2.3. Read EPCOT/research novels and prepare for group meetings Friday.
Learning Goal(s): Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis, including uncertainties; analyze the impact of the author’s choices regarding how to develop and relate elements of a story and how to structure specific parts of a text.
Opener: Quick rehearsal for Othello 2.3.
- Perform 2.3 Drinking Scenes
- View film adaptation, comparing/contrasting.
Opener: List potential research topics on a notecard; prepare to discuss with groups.
- 5th EPCOT novel group meeting (45 minutes) discuss questions established by the reading coach cast member, set action items for next week’s meeting.
- Submit potential research topics (notecard)
- Prepare TWIST and multiple choice questions for passages from research novels.