F 4/15-EOC Vocabulary Quiz (packet provided Monday)
M 4/18-Read to page 90 in The Road
Monday, April 11
- Preview the last six weeks (The Road, The Odyssey, EOC preparation, final portfolio).
- Introduce EOC Vocabulary
- Review elements of narrative writing with The Night Circus prompt (sequencing events rather than describing/summarizing).
- Read/analyze “The Cask of Amontillado,” focusing on elements of the narrative (standards included with The Night Circus prompt).
- View “Scary Mary” video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic
- Rewrite the opening scene of “The Cask of Amontillado” to transform it to a positive celebration with friends.
- Complete narrative review from yesterday.
- Anticipation Guide: Four corners for The Road; debate issues from the novel.
- Review elements of argumentative writing with articles and prompts from anticipation guide.
- Continue review of elements of argumentative writing:
- Review structure of an argument: thesis (primary claim), topic sentences (sub-claims), shadesof the argument (circle of ten), counterargument.
- Review finding evidence: other sources given to you, what you have seen, what you have read, what you have experienced.
- Practice “The Circle of Ten”: What Makes a Hero? Why? If you had to choose who could get the “Hero Award” who would that be?
- Read/analyze The Road.
Thursday, April 14
- Review EOC skills; understand how to identify author’s purpose in a short text, explaining how the author develops his claim.
- Play Rebuttal Tennis
- Finalize claim statements; select text evidence to support claims, establish counterclaims and refutations.
Friday, April 15
- EOC Vocabulary Assessment Quiz
- Debate issues from The Odyssey anticipation guide.
- Note the list of characters in The Odyssey on p. 982 of the textbook.
- Read the invocation to The Odyssey 981 and “I am Laertes’ Son” p.983.
- Read/annotate historical information about Greek hospitality; view video on Greek hospitality
- Compare the style of Homer and McCarthy. Discuss Greek heroes, connecting to Wednesday’s discussion.