Planning Your Week
W 12/13 – submit all written portions to Turnitin.com before class Thursday.
Th 12/14 – The Night Circus presentations due in class; all written portions should be submitted to Turnitin.com before class.
Opener: Review the EA2 and Activity 2.3 “Analyzing Writer’s Style” p. 101; connect to film analysis/review of Tim Burton’s style (review p.93d-3).
- Review Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado” from Activity 2.8; complete “Style Analysis” p.147 in Activity 2.10.
- Complete Activity 2.11 (manipulative with rolled up construction paper to simulate camera angles); analyze commercials (1 per group; 10 commercials); compose paragraph to explain effects created in the assigned ad.
Opener: Review The Night Circus project rubric.
- Research in the learning commons.
- Compose rationales.
Opener: Review The Night Circus project rubric and group goals for the day.
- Finalize research and finish written portions of the project.
Opener: Review graphic organizer format (web organizer for key subjects/points and influences discussed in the biographical essay.Watch the short “Vincent” by Tim Burton.
- Complete Activity 2.12 “Film in Context: An Authorial Study”; read the biographical essay “Tim Burton: Wickedly Funny, grotesquely Humorous” and answer the text-dependent questions and the main idea statement under “Working from the Text.”
- Begin Activity 2.13 “Setting the Mood and Understanding Tone: Wonka Two Ways”; read the excerpt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Read the excerpt and complete the table identifying mood and the stylistic elements that contribute to it.
Homework: Rest and prepare for the EOC.
Opener: Continue Activity 2.13; read passage 2 from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and complete the text-dependent questions.
- Complete the tone chart on p.158 and “The Language of Style Analysis” p.159.
- Watch the beginning of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; jigsaw the cinematic techniques to take film notes on Burton’s style.
- Groups share findings from the “close viewing” then discuss Burton’s style.